Thursday, March 13, 2008

Un-Wanted: Random magazine subscriptions.

Has anyone else encountered this phenomena? It started shortly after I moved into my new place near the heart of this dear city that's now been my home for almost NINE years! I opened our mailbox to find a copy of Redbook, a women's magazine, addressed to me. This is the only magazine to come monthly (so far) and with its target audience being women who want it all - career, family, immaculate home, killer wardrobe, loads of time to contemplate self as goddess, with all being on their own terms - it's the one magazine that even comes close to being something I'd flip through from month to month.

The magazines, or solicitations for magazine subscriptions, have become increasingly more bizarre. I next received The Source, AKA The Bible of Hip Hop Music, Culture, and Politics. Then Ebony started sending me weekly letters asking me to submit payment for a subscription. I'm honored the people at Ebony think I am a cool-enough white girl to receive its publication - I just want to know how they heard about me. Later there was an offer for Guitar Player. And y
esterday's selection? Latina!


Anyone think I should be worried? I can't imagine why anyone would steal my identity to send ME these magazines that, as far as I can tell, I haven't paid for. Those are great lengths for a stranger to go to provide me with a wide and wild variety of reading material.


Or should I take all these glossy pages as a message from the universe to expand my horizons and include handy casserole recipes, hip-hop, black empowerment, and Latin flavor? Perhaps my Christianity Todays, Runners Worlds, and Pastes are in need of new friends? Can The Economist, Marie Claire, and Real Simple be next?

No comments: